The current conditions for partial unemployment benefit will be maintained in March, Labor Minister Elisabeth Borne announced on Tuesday. The remaining charge for companies was to increase next month, however.
“We will extend the current rates of partial activity in March so (there will be) no out-of-pocket expenses for the sectors hit by the crisis and we will maintain the rate of 15% for the others, to answer to the uncertainty about the health situation, ”said the Minister on BFM Business. Currently, the general rule is that the employee is compensated up to 70% of his gross salary (84% net) with a remainder in charge of 15% for companies.
Sectors in difficulty taken care of 100%
This was supposed to rise to 40% in March (with employee compensation falling to 60%), a date that had already been postponed several times due to the extension of the health crisis linked to Covid-19. The sectors most affected by the crisis (tourism, culture, sport and leisure, hotel and catering, transport, etc. and related activities) will continue to benefit from 100% support.
“Partial unemployment protected nine million workers in the spring and three million in November,” added Elisabeth Borne. The Minister invited companies in sectors less affected by the crisis which anticipate a more lasting decline in activity to “sign long-term partial activity agreements (APLD)”.
This system allows a reduction in working time of up to 40% of non-working hours on average for six to 24 months, subject to a company or branch agreement, validated by the administration and including commitments on the employment and training. Currently, more than 7,000 companies and 530,000 employees are covered by an APLD agreement, she said.