Senegalese authorities announced Sunday that four newborns had perished in the fire that broke out on Saturday in a hospital in the city of Linguere, in the north of the country.
The causes of the disaster, which occurred in the morning at Magatte Lô hospital, were not immediately known, but the mayor Aly Ngouille Ndiaye mentioned an electrical malfunction of an air conditioning unit in the maternity ward, where were six babies.
“Unfortunately we have deplored four deaths” among the babies, he said, also reporting two injuries. “The fire did not spread,” said the mayor.
A spokesperson for the Ministry of Health, Ngoné Ngom, confirmed the toll, adding that the government had opened an investigation into the fire.