The Ultra Low Emission Zone is expanding – but there is help for people with polluting vehicles (Photo: Getty Images/iStockphoto)

The Ultra Low Emission Zone (Ulez) will be extended across London this summer, meaning many drivers will face additional costs in addition to the cost of living.

Nearly 700,000 motorists will be required to pay the £12.50 daily charge to drive in the zone from 29 August 2023, according to analysis by the RAC.

Some may be forced to sell or scrap their vehicles – which is why the Mayor of London has launched a “scrapping scheme” offering financial support to certain groups to retrofit or scrap the most polluting cars.

What is the program, who is eligible and how does it work?

Here’s what you need to know.

What is Ulez’s demolition program?

The ulez would clear the air in London, but it will cost many drivers more to expand (Credits: Getty Images)

Latest news about London

  • London’s first-ever Ramadan lights come on
  • Most of the “undesirable homes” have been for sale for 14 years
  • Babies in London live 12 years longer than in Glasgow

The £110m scrapping scheme is now live. It was created by Sadiq Khan to tackle London’s air pollution and provide relief to those affected by Ulez’s upcoming expansion.

It provides grants for scrapping or retrofitting vehicles that do not meet emissions standards, including cars, motorcycles, vans and minibuses.

Most diesel vehicles registered before September 2015 and petrol vehicles registered before January 2006 will likely be required to pay the Ulez per diem when driving in the zone.

The scrappage scheme targets “Londoners receiving certain low-income or disability benefits, and eligible micro-enterprises (up to 10 employees), sole traders and charities with a registered address in the city”.

How does the Ulez scrappage bonus work?

City of London skyline cityscape in the smog

Air pollution is a problem in London (Image: Getty Images)

The first step is to find out if your vehicle meets Ulez emissions standards – if it does, you won’t have to pay £12.50 to drive in the zone.

You do this by entering the data on the Ulez website.

If your vehicle does not meet these requirements, check in the next step whether you are entitled to a subsidy.

Who is eligible for the cancellation scheme?

Please enable JavaScript to view this video and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 videos

To qualify for the Vehicle and engine control (including wheelchair accessible vans) you must

Residents of one of the 32 London Boroughs of the City of London who have not received a grant under the previous Ulez Scrapping Scheme and receive one or more of the following benefits:

  • universal credit
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • attendance fee
  • Surcharge for nursing
  • child benefits
  • Fixed participation fee
  • Subsistence allowance in case of incapacity for work
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • rent allowance
  • social Security
  • Occupational disability pension for accidents at work
  • payment
  • pension credit
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Supplement for severe disability
  • Mobility allowance for war pensioners
  • Tax credit works

You must also be able to provide proof of identity (such as a driver’s license), proof of address and the insurance details and logbook of the car.

To be eligible for the Vans and Minibuses Scheme you must be self-employed and run a business in the 32 London Boroughs or the City of London with 10 employees or fewer (up to £632,000 turnover) or a charity registered in the area of ​​London. .

The vehicle must be a van (up to and including 3.5 tons permissible gross weight (GVW)) or a minibus (up to and including 5 tons permissible gross weight).

how much do i get

Bundle of twenty pound notes

Wrecking your vehicle can pay off (Photo: Getty Images/Image Source)

Once your application has been approved and your vehicle has been scrapped (which should be done at an approved centre) or retrofitted (at an approved mechanic), you will need to upload supporting evidence such as a Certificate of Destruction.

For Cars, motorcycles and wheelchair accessible cars or vans, there are eight options for paying subsidies:

  • Wrecked car – £2,000
  • Wrecked Car – £1,600 plus an adult bus and tram annual pass
  • Wrecked Car – £1,200 plus two adult annual bus and tram tickets
  • Scrap motorcycle – £1,000
  • Wrecking an engine – £600 plus an adult bus and tram annual ticket
  • Wrecked Motorbike – £200 plus two annual bus and tram tickets for adults
  • Scrap wheelchair accessible vehicle (car or van) – £5,000
  • Retrofit of a wheelchair accessible vehicle (vans only) – £5,000

Don’t forget that opting for the annual bus and tram passes is worth more than just the fair – scrapping a car and getting a pass, for example, is worth over £2,500.

Close-up of exhaust gases coming out of the exhaust pipe

The aim is to make London a healthier place to live and work (Photo: Getty Images)

For vans and minibusesThere are six options:

  • Wreck a van – £5,000
  • Skip a minibus – £7,000
  • Customize a van – £5,000
  • Retrofit Minibus – £5,000
  • Scrapping a van and replacing it with an electric van – £7,500
  • Scrap a minibus and replace it with an electric minibus – £9,500

How can I log in?

You must apply for both schemes online on the Tfl website – there are separate schemes for motorcycles and cars and vans.

The first step is to create an account – then just follow the on-screen instructions.