Skip to content

Stadiums named after Pelé: FIFA will make a historic request to its member countries

This Monday, January 2, the president of the FIFA, Gianni Infantinoannounced that it will request the member countries (211) to place the name of Pele in at least one stadium as a tribute to the Brazilian legend who passed away at the age of 82 last week.

“We are going to honor the ‘king’ as he deserves. We will ask all the federations in the entire world, the 111 countries, to name a stadium in each country with the name of Pelé, because young people have to know and remember who he was,” said the FIFA boss in Santos, Brazil, where he arrived for the wake of ‘O Rei’.

“Pelé is eternal, he is a world soccer icon. He did for the first time many things that in football 99% can hardly dream of doing, and the remaining 1% did it after him, ”added Gianni Infantino.

It is worth mentioning that other South American soccer authorities were also present at Pelé’s wake, such as the head of the Brazilian Soccer Confederation, Ednaldo Rodrigues, and of Conmebol, Alejandro Domínguez.

Farewell to Pelé

Fans from all over the world can say goodbye to Pelé at the Vila Belmiro de Santos stadium before he is buried in a ceremony reserved for the family.

Source: Elcomercio

Share this article:
globalhappenings news.jpg
most popular