Meta Platformsparent company of Facebookwill restrict access to Russian state media outlets RT and Sputnik throughout the European Union, the company’s head of global affairs, Nick Clegg, said in a tweet on Monday.
We have received requests from a number of Governments and the EU to take further steps in relation to Russian state controlled media. Given the exceptional nature of the current situation, we will be restricting access to RT and Sputnik across the EU at this time.
— Nick Clegg (@nickclegg) February 28, 2022
Clegg said the social media company had received requests from various governments and the EU to take further action in relation to Russian state-controlled media on its platforms.
Information in development…
- Russia limits access to Facebook due to sanctions and restrictions on the media in its country
- Facebook responds to Russia and accuses it of refusing to allow verification of information
- Russia “limits” Facebook and accuses it of violating human rights
- Ukrainians May Block Their Facebook Accounts After Fears Over ‘Death Lists’
- Meta reveals an artificial intelligence to create metaverses through voice commands