United States announced on Wednesday new sanctions for the Russian invasion of Moscow that this time affect the defense industry of Russia and technological imports from its ally Belarus.
The White House revealed “radical restrictions against Belarus to prevent its import of technological goods in response to its support” for the war against Ukraine.
SIGHT: Russia warns that the only alternative to sanctions is a Third World War, which will be “nuclear and devastating”
Also, he announced “sanctions targeting Russia’s defense sector” to “impose significant costs on Russian weapons development and production companies.”
Moscow and Minsk are closely linked and Belarusian territory was key to the cantonment of Russian forces to invade Ukraine.
- Russia acknowledges that it lost 498 soldiers in Ukraine, in the first balance since the invasion
- “For decades there have been warnings of the provocation that NATO expansion is for Russia”
- How the Montreux Convention stopped Russian warships from passing through the Bosphorus
The European Union on Wednesday announced its own series of sanctions, including a blacklist of 22 high-ranking military officers from Belarus and an end to imports of the country’s main export product: potash fertilizer.
United States said it was targeting entities “who have been involved in, contributed to, or supported in any way the Russian and Belarusian security services, military and defense sectors, and/or military and defense research and development efforts.”
SIGHT: War Russia – Ukraine LIVE: Russian paratroopers land in Kharkiv and fighting breaks out
“This action will help prevent the diversion of items, technologies and software to Russia through Belarus and will significantly degrade both countries’ ability to sustain their military aggression and ability to plan.”the White House said.
It will also limit the ability of both countries to “obtain the materials they need to support their military aggression against Ukraine.”
In respect of RussiaThe United States said it was targeting 22 defence-related entities, “including companies that manufacture fighter jets, infantry fighting vehicles, electronic warfare systems, missiles, and unmanned aerial vehicles for the Russian military.”
It also formally imposed the sanction announced Tuesday by Washington to close US airspace from all Russian planes, a measure also adopted by the European Union and Canada.
- Ukraine compares bombing of Kiev to that of Nazi Germany in 1941
- Ukraine reports the death of 2,800 Russian soldiers on the second day of the invasion
- Why did Russia invade Ukraine and what are Putin’s arguments for war?
- A shocking audio reveals how Russian soldiers threaten and then kill 13 Ukrainian soldiers on an island
- These are the countries that support Russia and those that are with Ukraine
- NATO activates its defense troops for the first time in history to deter Russia