the president of United States, Joe Bidenacknowledged on Tuesday that “defending democracy” against the Russian invasion of Ukraine It will mean “costs” for Americans, referring to the notable increase in fuel prices recorded in recent days.
SIGHT: LIVE | Biden orders embargo on US imports of Russian oil and gas
“Defending democracy is going to involve costs, and it is going to involve costs for us as well”asserted Biden In a speech at the White House, in which he announced the ban on imports of oil and natural gas from Russia.
- Chinese President calls for “maximum containment” in Ukraine during summit with Macron and Scholz
- “Putin needs something to declare victory”: how the leadership of the Russian president is at stake with the invasion of Ukraine
- The 3 conditions that Russia demands for an “immediate ceasefire” in Ukraine
In this regard, he stated that will do everything possible to minimize the increase in energy prices in the US.
Biden listed a series of measures that his government has taken to this end, in coordination with allies, such as the release of 60 million barrels of crude oil from joint oil reserves, and warned oil companies that he will not tolerate their profiting from of the current situation by inflating prices.
SIGHT: Russia warns of “catastrophic consequences” if it stops buying its oil: “A barrel will reach 300 dollars”
“We are approaching record levels of oil and gas production in the US.”he indicated.
Biden considered that this crisis serves as a reminder of the importance of the US being independent from an energy point of view.
“It should motivate us to accelerate the transition to clean energy”, said.
The President of Ukraine, Volodymyr Zelensky, was on Monday in favor of the international community approving cancel purchases of Russian oil.
The ban on energy imports from Russia by the US adds to the economic sanctions recently adopted against Moscow in coordination with European partners, including restrictions on the international operations of the Russian central bank and the suspension of certain banks Russians of the international SWIFT system.
- Putin says Western sanctions are like a ‘declaration of war’
- Ukraine shows on social networks the missile attack on a helicopter: “This is how the Russian occupiers die!” | VIDEO
- Visa and Mastercard suspend operations in Russia due to the invasion of Ukraine
- The strange act of Vladimir Putin between jokes, flowers and stewardesses in full offensive in Ukraine
- British journalists recorded the moment they were fired upon by Russian troops in Ukraine
- War correspondent in Ukraine: “No one imagined that this would happen with such brutality”