Joe Biden warned on Saturday that an attack was “very likely” against Kabul airport “within 24 to 36 hours”, while asserting that the American strike which killed two Daesh members would not be “the last “.
“The situation on the spot remains extremely dangerous and the threat of a terrorist attack on the airport remains high,” the US president wrote in a statement after meeting with his military and security advisers. “Our commanders informed me that an attack was very likely within 24 to 36 hours.”
“This strike was not the last”
An attack on Thursday near Kabul airport killed more than 100 people, including 13 American soldiers. This attack, claimed by ISIS in Khorasan (IS-K), triggered a retaliatory strike by the US military. Two “important targets” of the EI-K group, “organizers” and “operators”, were killed, and another wounded in a drone strike carried out by the United States in Afghanistan, announced Saturday the Pentagon. Washington did not reveal their names.
“I said that we would hunt down the group responsible for the attack on our troops and innocent civilians in Kabul, and we did,” said Joe Biden in his statement. “This strike was not the last. We will continue to hunt down any individual involved in this heinous attack and make them pay, ”he added.
The Pentagon released the identity of the 13 soldiers killed in Thursday’s attack on Saturday afternoon. Of these, five were 20 years old, the length of the United States’ longest war, launched in 2001 in Afghanistan. “Their courage and their altruism have so far allowed more than 117,000 people in danger to find themselves in safety”, leaving Afghanistan since the end of July, greeted Joe Biden. Their remains were on their way to the United States on Saturday, according to the Pentagon, which did not specify when they would arrive.