The ex-president donald trump appeared by video conference before the court of Manhattan that judges him for 34 crimes of fraud, on which he was prohibited this Tuesday from disclosing sensitive documents on social networks.
Judge John Merchan issued an order earlier this month stating that neither the mogul nor his legal team can “copy, disseminate and disclose“Materials and sensitive information provided by the prosecution to prepare their defense in the media or social networks such as”TruthSocial, Facebook, instagram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Snapchateither Youtube without prior court approval”.
LOOK HERE: DeSantis will announce his candidacy on Wednesday, via Twitter and along with Elon Musk, says Fox News
The 76-year-old tycoon, who appeared from Florida with two American flags in the background, replied “Yeah”, when the judge of Colombian origin asked him if he had received a copy of the order.
Dressed in a dark blue suit and red tie, Trump, who aspires to return to the White House in the 2024 election, he shook his head in disbelief when the judge told him he could be held in contempt if he violates the order.
However, both Trump and his defense team will be able to continue talking about the case since there is no express prohibition for it and publish information in the public domain and evidence collected by themselves.
The defendant, who aspires to return to the White House in the presidential elections of 2024, will also not be able to disclose the names of the personnel, nor information that identifies them, of the office of the district attorney of Manhattanwhich is going to sit a former president on the bench for the first time.
Merchan signed the order earlier this month at the request of the prosecution after Trump’s attacks on witnesses and the Manhattan prosecutor, Alvin Braggwho has seated for the first time a former president of USA on the bench.
On April 4, Trump pleaded not guilty to the 34 crimes charged by the prosecution for the black payment of $130,000 to the former porn film actress. stormy danielsin the final stretch of the 2016 electoral campaign, for a relationship that they would have had ten years earlier and that the Republican magnate has always denied.
MORE INFORMATION: The writer who won trial against Trump seeks new compensation for a later mockery
Trump’s lawyers called the judge’s order “muzzle” unprecedented for a presidential candidate.
Judgment for March 24
Lawyer todd blanchesitting to the left of Trump, told the judge that the former president was “very worried” because their rights related to the first amendment of the Constitution, which guarantees freedom of expression, are being violated.
Merchan stressed that his ruling does not amount to a gag order and that Trump will be able to speak on the case and campaign to try to regain the presidency next year.
He also announced that the trial will begin on March 25, which means that the historic process will probably begin in full Republican primaries for the 2024 presidential elections.
Trump seemed increasingly exasperated and shook his head again as Merchan informed all parties to the case that they should not make any further commitments that might interfere with the trial.
Trump’s lawyers have filed an appeal to have the case moved to federal court in NYconsidering that the crimes charged by the New York justice system occurred during his presidency (2016-2021).
ALSO SEE: Donald Trump Media Group Files Defamation Suit Against The Washington Post
Trump, who has dismissed the accusation by the New York prosecution of “Witch hunt”, was recently sentenced by a jury in a civil court in New York to pay 5 million dollars to the former journalist E.Jean Carroll for sexual assault and defamation.
In addition to another case of financial fraud from the family business in Manhattan, the former president has other legal fronts open, such as the attempt to reverse the electoral results of Georgiahis role in the assault on the Capitol by his supporters on January 6, 2021, and the appropriation of confidential state documents after leaving the presidency.
I am Jack Morton and I work in 24 News Recorder. I mostly cover world news and I have also authored 24 news recorder. I find this work highly interesting and it allows me to keep up with current events happening around the world.