After the termination of a mega-contract for French submarines by Canberra, discussions were initiated between the French industrialist Naval Group and the Australian authorities on possible financial compensation, announced the French Ministry of the Armed Forces on Tuesday.
“Discussions are taking place between Naval Group experts and the Australians” about “compensation and compensation”, said the ministry during an audio conference with the press on the “submarine crisis”.
A 900 million euro contract
US President Joe Biden on September 15 announced a new strategic alliance with Australia and the United Kingdom, torpedoing a French submarine contract in Canberra and causing the fury of the ignored Paris.
The French industrialist had already taken “several contractual stages”, for an amount of 900 million euros, of which Australia has already paid for the vast majority, the ministry said, stressing that “Naval Group will not have lost money for the work already done ”.
A document dated September 15
The French Ministry of the Armed Forces again blasted Australia’s “betrayal” on Tuesday, insisting that “at no time did the Australian decision to switch to nuclear-powered submarines nor their discussions with the United States” were discussed ”with the French authorities.
As proof, argues Paris, “on September 15, Australian engineers and soldiers validated the program review” of the French in an official document (called “notification of the end of the functional review of the program”) meaning that “Australia was satisfied and that we could move forward ”.