The president of EcuadorGuillermo Lasso announced on Monday that he decreed a state of emergency for the entire country in the face of an increase in the rates of violence due to drug trafficking, ordering the mobilization in the streets of police and military.
“Starting immediately, our Armed Forces and police will feel strongly in the streets because we are decreeing a state of exception throughout the national territory”said the president in an address broadcast by the state channel EcuadorTV.
- Ship “Cisne Branco” of the Brazilian Navy collides with a bridge in Ecuador
- William Cumbajín, the murderer who raped and tortured nine women in Ecuador
- Three injured and three vehicles trapped in road bridge collapse in Ecuador
Lasso, who took office last May, said that “in the streets of Ecuador there is only one enemy: drug trafficking” and that “in recent years Ecuador has gone from being a drug trafficking country to one that also consumes drugs” .
The right-wing ruler also decided on Monday to change his defense minister amid a prison crisis and a “period of insecurity” in the nation, all due to drug trafficking.
Between January and August of this year, 1,427 murders were registered in the country, 55 more than in all of 2020, according to the Ministry of Government (Interior).
Two weeks ago, members of criminal groups linked to cartels in Mexico and Colombia who are imprisoned and vying for power faced a bullet in a penitentiary in Guayaquil (southwest), leaving 119 inmates dead in what constitutes one of the worst prison massacres. in the history of Latin America.
- The “twisted” experiment that tried to raise a baby with a chimpanzee
- Why are the Arabs so keen to buy the elite teams of European football?
- Quiniela today, Monday: check the raffle plays, live
- Melbourne becomes the city in the world with the most days under strict confinement due to coronavirus
- Billionaire Robert Durst is sentenced to life in prison for the murder of his best friend
- Gabby Petito died of strangulation almost a month before being found, according to autopsy
- Two motorcycle assailants die after victim shot them in Colombia