An Air Force bomber from USA Escorted by fighter jets from allied countries such as Israel, it has flown over key sea lanes in the Middle East where attacks on ships have been recorded.
a B-1B Throw it flew over the Persian Gulf, the Bab al Mandeb Strait, the Suez Canal and the Gulf of Oman, the United States Central Command (Centcom) reported in a statement on Saturday.
SIGHT: Raped, beaten, hanged and suffocated: first testimony of a Guantánamo prisoner about the CIA torture
The plane also flew over the Strait of Hormuz, through which a fifth of world oil production passes at the head of the Gulf, which Iran considers a strategic area of influence.
“The mission … intended to convey a clear message of tranquility”said the Centcom.
- Israel prepares for eventual attack on Iran’s nuclear plants
- US and Israel warn Iran about use of force if diplomacy over its nuclear program fails
- Iranian President Tells UN US Hegemony Has Failed
Fighter jets from Israel, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain, all of them allies of the United States and facing the Islamic Republic of Iran, escorted the American bomber over their respective airspaces.
“Military preparation for any contingency or mission – from crisis response to multilateral exercises or presence patrols on a day like this – depends on reliable partnerships,” said Centcom commander Gen. Frank McKenzie, chief of US forces in the Middle East.
Egyptian fighters also accompanied the B-1B, a supersonic bomber that can carry more cargo than any other US military aircraft.
In January, a US B-52 bomber, which can carry nuclear weapons, flew over the Middle East.
Iran and Israel have been accused since February of starring in what analysts have called a “shadow war.” Ships linked to both countries have been attacked in the waters of the Persian Gulf.
The regional patrol, Centcom’s fifth such operation so far this year, comes at a time when talks to reactivate the 2015 agreement to limit Iran’s nuclear program have stalled.
US President Joe Biden has repeatedly offered to return to the nuclear deal, but his administration has reiterated its concern about Tehran’s attitude following the inauguration of a hard-line government.
Former President Donald Trump withdrew the United States from the deal in 2018 and imposed sweeping sanctions on Iran. Tehran breached agreements on its nuclear program in retaliation.
- They ate at the Salt Bae restaurant and the service alone cost thousands of dollars
- Nikolas Cruz: Perpetrator of Parkland School Massacre Pleads Guilty to All Charges
- Before she died, teacher Mary Kay Letourneau felt remorse for her relationship with her 12-year-old student
- Mexico: mother would have embalmed her daughter and put it as a mannequin in her store
- They find the belongings of the missing boyfriend of Gabby Petito, the young woman who was murdered in the United States.
- They release the “murderer with red hair”, who at age 13 abused and killed a 4-year-old boy