The omicron variant of the coronavirus detected in South Africa has probably already reached Germany, after characteristic mutations were detected last night in a traveler from the region.
SIGHT: Ómicron: What is known about the new “variant of concern” of the coronavirus?
As reported today by the Minister of Social Affairs of the federal state of Hesse, Kai Klose, through his Twitter account, “The omicron variant has already reached a very high probability Germany”.
- The WHO classifies as “worrying” new variant of COVID-19 and will call it omicron
- Bill Gates on future pandemic: “We would not be so lucky next time”
- Belgium announces the first case in Europe of a new variant of the coronavirus
“A traveler from South Africa last night had several characteristic mutations of omicron. There is therefore a high suspicion. The person in question is in home isolation “, he specified.
At the moment the complete sequencing is still being carried out, he said, and he appealed to all those who arrived from South Africa in the last week to limit their contacts and to be tested.
Germany yesterday declared a risk zone due to the presence of the new omicron variant both in South Africa and in seven other countries in the region: Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia and Zimbabwe.
Last midnight the restrictions for travelers from the region came into effect.
The declaration as a risk zone by variant implies that airlines from this region will be able to transfer only German citizens to Germany and that they must keep a 14-day quarantine after entering the country, also if they are vaccinated.
- Mauricio Leal: the famous stylist and his mother die in strange circumstances in Colombia; this is what is known
- The nightmare of the school that won the draw for the presidential plane of Mexico
- He arrived at the hospital with a fever, fatigue and flu, they gave him two years to live and 13 years later he lives to tell the tale
- To try to save his son, who is unlikely to live, a father develops a laboratory at home
- Lifeless body of renowned model Christy Giles was thrown in front of a Los Angeles hospital
- “Who gets vaccinated, wins”: Austrian public television raffles cars and houses to promote vaccination against coronavirus