The government of USA He filed a lawsuit against the state of Texas on Monday for allegedly having designed a new electoral map that dilutes and weakens the vote of Hispanics.
In a complaint filed in the Western District Court of the Division of Step, the US Government argued that during the last decade Texas won 4 million residents, mostly Hispanics and other minorities, but electoral districts do not reflect that diversity.
- Mother stabs her 5-month-old daughter to death in New Jersey
- Anthony Fauci: omicron variant could be less dangerous than delta
- Ómicron: How are the new travel requirements to the United States that apply from today?
“The Texas Legislature refused to recognize an increasingly minority constituency. Texas designed two new districts that have Anglo-Saxon majorities and intentionally eliminated a Latino district “the Justice Department said in the lawsuit.
With the complaint, the department headed by Attorney General Merrick Garland wants to show that Texas violated a key section of the Voting Rights Act that requires all voters to have equal opportunities to participate in electoral processes.
Texas is one of the US states that has experienced the most growth in recent years, and was the only one to increase its representation in the House of Representatives by two congressmen after the 2020 census results were released.
Both the Governor of Texas, Greg Abbott, as well as the majorities in the Assembly and the state Senate, belong to the Republican Party.
Already in October, the Mexican-American Legal Defense and Educational Fund (MALDEF) filed a first lawsuit against the state of Texas for the same reason and asked the federal court to discard the new electoral maps.
- Mauricio Leal: the famous stylist and his mother die in strange circumstances in Colombia; this is what is known
- The nightmare of the school that won the draw for the presidential plane of Mexico
- He arrived at the hospital with a fever, fatigue and flu, they gave him two years to live and 13 years later he lives to tell the tale
- To try to save his son, who is unlikely to live, a father develops a laboratory at home
- Lifeless body of renowned model Christy Giles was thrown in front of a Los Angeles hospital
- “Who gets vaccinated, wins”: Austrian public television raffles cars and houses to promote vaccination against coronavirus