Israel It bombed on Tuesday a shipment of Iranian weapons stored in a container terminal in the Syrian port of Latakia (west), an unprecedented attack against such strategic facilities, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (OSDH).
SIGHT: Multiple Phones of US Diplomats Hacked with Israeli Software
According to the OSDH – a UK-based NGO with an extensive network of information sources in the war-torn country – Israeli missiles targeted “directly at an Iranian arms shipment at the container terminal” inside the port, which caused “violent explosions and significant material damage, without causing casualties.”
It’s the first time that Israel It is targeting the port of Latakia, the most important in the country, since the conflict began in 2011, OSDH director Rami Abdel Rahman told AFP.
- Parents of teen who killed 4 at Michigan school charged with manslaughter
- “You see nothing, hear nothing, say nothing”: reveal how Ghislaine Maxwell controlled Epstein’s mansion
- 13-year-old boy charged with attempted murder in Florida shooting
“About 01H23 [23H23 GMT del lunes], the Israeli army carried out an air attack with several missiles against the container depot of the commercial port of Latakia ”, confirmed a military source quoted by the SANA agency.
The shelling set fire to “several commercial containers” but without causing casualties, the agency said. There was “retaliation from our air defenses,” he added.
– Intensified attacks –
The Syrian air defense was activated, according to a SANA report. Photos released by the agency show a fire at the location where the containers are stored. “The fire teams controlled the fire that broke out in the port of Latakia after the Israeli aggression,” according to public television.
Israel It very rarely confirms this type of attack in Syria, but it does underline that it will not allow this country to become a base of operations for Iran, its number one enemy.
Iran is the main ally of the Syrian regime, providing political, economic and military aid to it since the start of the conflict in 2011.
In recent weeks he has intensified the frequency of his attacks. On November 24, five Syrians, three of them military, were killed in an attack attributed to Israel in an area of the center of the country where the Hezbollah movement (Lebanese and pro-Iranian) is well established.
On November 3, weapons and ammunition warehouses were bombed on the outskirts of Damascus, according to the OSDH.
In late October, five pro-Iranian fighters were killed in an Israeli attack on the outskirts of the Syrian capital.
Syria has been experiencing a bloody conflict since 2011 that has caused some 500,000 deaths and has forced millions of people to move inside and outside the country.
- Next pandemic could be “worse or deadlier,” warns Oxford / AstraZeneca vaccine creator
- How the new Super Green Pass complicates social life for the unvaccinated in Italy
- Flight MH370: can one of the great mysteries of aviation finally be solved?
- Plumber finds money hidden in the wall of a megachurch (and could have solved a mysterious robbery from 2014)
- They find dead a young Brazilian who was missing and was forced to dig her own grave
- US Congressman Releases Christmas Family Photo With Guns, Days After School Shooting