The opening of the voting centers for the repetition of the regional elections this Sunday in Barinas, the birthplace of Hugo Chávez, began after 6 a.m. local time (10 a.m. GMT), at which time all polling stations must be active, according to the mandate. of the National Electoral Council (CNE) of Venezuela. Today’s elections in Barinas are held after the Supreme Court of Justice (TSJ) annulled the votes of last November in the region, and ordered their repetition, upon detecting that the opposition candidate Freddy Superlano -who won by a narrow margin to the Argenis Chávez, a pro-government official, appeared despite being disqualified.
WATCH THE LIVE TRANSMISSION HERE:
The high court made the decision eight days after the holding of regional elections throughout the country and with proclaimed governor in all states, except in Barinas, a region that demanded to know what was happening, without receiving answers from the National Electoral Council (CNE).
LOOK: Chavista justice annuls the elections in Barinas, the home state of Hugo Chávez where the opposition was winning
MIRA: Venezuela: Chavista military presence increases in the state of Barinas prior to repeat elections
The order of repetition was given by the Supreme Court after receiving a constitutional protection action filed by Adolfo Superlano (no relation to Freddy Superlano), considered a dissident of the opposition, “for the alleged violation of the constitutional rights to participation and suffrage.” , provided for in the Magna Carta.
- “I earn more money selling rice in the street than in the laboratory”: the rebound of the second (and third) jobs in Venezuela
- Juan Guaidó extends his “presidency” without power in Venezuela with the support of the United States
- Maduro assures that Venezuela has abandoned “the state of hyperinflation”
The aforementioned violation of “constitutional rights” is given, the Supreme Court said, by the nomination of the opponent Freddy Superlano, who, as clarified at the time in a statement, appeared weighing on him a disqualification.
However, the opponent had been included in a list of amnesties by President Nicolás Maduro in August 2020, so the reasons why he was once again disqualified are unknown.
Candidates who aspire to govern Barinas And who have options are the former foreign minister and former minister of Hugo Chávez, Jorge Arreaza, on the part of the ruling party; and the opponents Sergio Garrido, for the Democratic Unity Table, and Claudio Fermín, considered a dissident of the majority anti-Chavez movement.
- “You cannot vaccinate the planet every 6 months. It is not sustainable “
- America’s strategy to ride out the waves of coronavirus
- France identifies new variant of COVID-19 called IHU with 46 mutations
- The Bogdanoff brothers, the most famous twins in France, die of coronavirus six days apart
- Coronavirus: What is “flurone”, the strange picture of double infection that puts the world on alert