Argentina reported 128,402 new cases of the covid-19, bringing the total number of positives to 6,793,119, while deaths rose to 117,808 after 139 deaths were reported in the last 24 hours.
LOOK: Spain reaches a new record of infections, although with less mortality
The South American country again approached the barrier of 130 thousand cases that reached last Wednesday with 131,082 infections in a single day, in the middle of the beginning of the “third wave” that is marked by the appearance of the omicron variant.
- More than 4,000 children are quarantined due to coronavirus outbreak in China | VIDEO
- Reappearance by omicron: “At this rate, in a week the health systems in Brazil will collapse”
- PAHO: Coronavirus cases almost doubled in the last week in America
The positivity index reported on this day for the country was 64.6%, since 198,532 tests were carried out throughout the national territory, well below the 10% recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO).
According to official figures, there are 5.7 million people who were infected and who have already been discharged, while the number of patients with a confirmed diagnosis of covid-19 who remain admitted to intensive care units was this Thursday of 2.406.
Although the number of internees continues to grow, it is still below the maximum peak of 7,969 on June 14.
The percentage of occupancy of beds in intensive care units for all types of pathologies is 40.6% nationwide and 41.4% if only Buenos Aires and its periphery are considered.
After months of favorable epidemiological situation, last October the Argentine government relaxed most of the sanitary restrictions in force until then, including the total opening of the borders.
However, the cases began to rise again since November and at a dizzying rate in recent weeks, leading to the “third wave” of covid-19.
For this reason, the Argentine government imposed the use of the health pass from January 1, which will require proof of complete vaccination schedules to be able to attend activities considered to be of “epidemiological risk”, such as mass events outdoors or in closed spaces.
Argentina, with about 45 million inhabitants, continues with its vaccination campaign that began at the end of 2020.
The vaccination bulletin so far recorded 81.1 million doses applied and more than 100 million have been distributed throughout the national territory.
A total of 38.8 million people received the first dose of the vaccine, while 33.7 million were already inoculated with the second.
Likewise, 2.8 million Argentines have received a third additional dose and another 5.6 million received a booster dose, within the framework of the vaccination strategy that began in October to reinforce the immunity of various groups.
- Valentina Boscardin died: the 18-year-old Brazilian model had tested positive for the coronavirus
- NATO-Russia Council: What has the resurrected forum done so far to ease tension on Ukraine?
- Guantanamo: 20 years later, no one has been able to close the most infamous prison
- How long does Boris Johnson have in power? The British Prime Minister and the scandal of his Covid parties
- The powerful image of the young man who carried his father for 6 hours to be vaccinated against the coronavirus