Colombia This Friday, 34,923 new cases of coronavirus were registered, the highest number of infections since the pandemic began almost two years ago, the Ministry of Health reported.
LOOK: The criminal history of the kidnapper of the Colombian Lina Cruz in Mexico
The previous record had been registered on June 26, during the third peak of the pandemic, when 33,594 positive cases were confirmed.
- The immediate future of our region: Where is Latin America headed in 2022?
- FARC dissidents assassinate two policemen in central Colombia
- Colombia announces that its consul in Haiti receives threats for the assassination of Jovenel Moïse
The Ministry of Health also reported 106 deaths from the infection, the highest figure since August 19, the day there were 120 deaths.
Colombian President Iván Duque warned last week that due to the predominance of the omicron variant, the country could have 30,000 or up to 40,000 positive cases per day, a projection that given the rapid progress of infections may fall short in the coming days. .
With the new data, Colombia accumulates 130,731 deaths from coronavirus and 5,475,904 infections, of which 137,729 remain active.
According to the Ministry of Health, the regions that had the highest infections this Friday were Bogotá (8,408), Antioquia (4,814), Valle del Cauca (4,642), Bolívar (2,555), Atlántico (2,310), Cundinamarca (1,479), Santander ( 1,053) and Caldas (979).
The deaths of the last day, of which 98 occurred in previous days, occurred in Valle del Cauca (24), Antioquia (21), Bolívar (10); Bogotá, Norte de Santander and Santander (6); Caldas and Quindío (4), mainly.
Today, 104,690 diagnostic samples were processed in the country, 49,186 of them PCR and 55,504 of antigens, for a total of 30.93 million tests carried out since the start of the pandemic.
According to the health authorities, last Wednesday 333,853 vaccines against the coronavirus were applied, of which 132,321 were second doses and 17,428 were the Janssen pharmaceutical single-dose formula.
With these figures, 67,269,813 vaccines have been applied in Colombia and 29.55 million people already have their complete schedule, while 4,145,562 have received the booster dose.
On the other hand, the director of Epidemiology and Demography of the Ministry of Health, Julián Fernández, assured that in Colombia the covid-19 pandemic has been asynchronous.
The official explained that this causes the new peak to occur by region, as is happening in Cali, Medellín and Bogotá, which present an abrupt increase in cases.
Barranquilla, according to Fernández, is interesting, because although its peak of cases has just begun, “deaths do not move and the curve remains flattened.” EFE
- Argentina registers 128,402 new cases and 139 deaths from coronavirus
- Biden, disappointed by Supreme Court blockade of business vaccination mandate
- Uruguay breaks new record and exceeds 10,000 daily cases of coronavirus
- “They fear us and for that they punish us”: the gloomy panorama six months after the historic protests in Cuba
- AMLO says that the pandemic “is on its way out” in Mexico despite a record of coronavirus infections