The health authorities of U.S They urged the population on Friday to use N95 or KN95 type masks to stop the spread of the virus. coronavirus. These types of masks are considered the most suitable for filtering the air and are used by health personnel. But before they were in short supply, and officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) had said they should be distributed to medical workers in the first instance.
LOOK: Bill Gates says coronavirus vaccines still have two key weaknesses
In a guideline update released Friday afternoon, CDC officials removed concern related to shortages, saying more clearly that well-established N95 and KN95 masks offer the most protection.
However, agency officials noted that some masks are more difficult to tolerate than others, and They advise choosing masks that fit well and are worn consistently.
- The United States will send free rapid coronavirus tests to homes starting January 19
- Florida averages more than 60,000 daily coronavirus infections with omicron, a new record
- Garbage accumulates in the streets of the US due to cases of omicron in cleaning workers
“Our main message remains that any mask is better than none,” CDC spokeswoman Kristen Nordlund said in a statement.
The CDC have been modifying their recommendations on the use of masks throughout the pandemic.
LOOK: What’s behind the nearly empty shelves in America’s supermarkets
In their previous update in September, officials from the CDC were more favorable to disposable N95 masks, stating that they were used in certain situations if supplies were available.
Some examples are: being around a lot of people for an extended period of time on a train, bus, or plane; care for someone in poor health; or be more susceptible to presenting a severe picture of COVID-19.
On Thursday, President Joe Biden announced that his administration planned to make “high-quality masks,” including N95s, available to citizens for free.
He indicated that next week more details will be given. The federal government has a stockpile of more than 750 million N95 masks, according to the White House.
The latest CDC guidelines note that there is a special category of “N95 surgical” masks, specifically designed to protect against blood spatter and other risks in operating rooms. These masks are not for sale to the general public, and should be reserved for healthcare workers, according to the agency.
- “They locked me up in a military detachment and raped me for 25 nights”
- 4 lessons that the elections in Barinas leave for the opposition and Chavismo in Venezuela
- How 9 Women Escaped a Nazi Death March
- A baby lost amid chaos at Kabul airport is reunited with his family months later
- The testimony of a son who helped his mother to have “a dignified death” in Colombia