Mexico registered this Monday 7,831 new infections of coronavirusfor a total of 5,300,706 cases, and a cumulative 312,965 deaths when adding 146 deaths this day, reported the Ministry of Health.
Just last Thursday, 927 deaths were registered, the highest figure during the fourth wave after the 829 reported on February 1.
LOOK: Spain “categorically rejects unjustified” statements by AMLO
The figures for the week in Mexico are usually lower due to the lag in the count.
With these data, Mexico is the sixteenth country in the world in number of confirmed infections and the fifth with the most deaths from this cause, behind the United States, Brazil, India and Russia, according to a count by Johns Hopkins University.
- Mexican soldiers enter Aguililla, stronghold of the powerful Jalisco New Generation Cartel
- AMLO proposes to make “a pause” in the relationship between Mexico and Spain: “Do not see us as a land of conquest”
- Mexican government criticizes “campaign of attacks” for the use of ivermectin to treat coronavirus
The health authorities recognize that, based on death certificates, the country may be close to 460,000 deaths and they estimate that Mexico actually accumulates 5,571,100 infections.
Of the confirmed infections, there are 91,858 active cases, which have presented symptoms during the last 14 days and account for 1.6% of the total.
In addition, since the start of the pandemic, 4,540,048 people have recovered.
The average occupancy of general beds in Mexican hospitals stands at 30% and that of intensive care at 22%.
Despite the rise in infections in the fourth wave, the Government has defended its management of the health crisis and did not apply additional restrictions during the onslaught of the omicron variant.
Last Tuesday, the Undersecretary for Prevention and Health Promotion, Hugo López-Gatell, in charge of managing the pandemic in the country, reaffirmed that it is “extremely clear” that the fourth wave of covid-1 is “going down”. 19, which at the beginning of the year set records for infections due to the omicron impulse.
That same day, the Mexican president, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, defended his management of the pandemic and asserted that Mexico is the ninth country in the world with the highest absolute vaccination and ranks 25th in deaths in proportion to the population.
Regarding deaths, Mexico City, the focus of the pandemic, accumulates about 17.5% of all deaths nationwide.
The authorities also indicated that within the vaccination program more than 172.67 million doses have been administered, adding 192,851 during the last day.
The Government of Mexico states that it is the ninth country that has applied the most doses in absolute numbers.
Of the 126 million inhabitants, 84.11 million Mexicans have received at least one dose of the vaccine, with which 89% of the population aged 18 and over have received at least one application.
Meanwhile, 77.95 million have completed their vaccination schedule.
Since the end of December 2020, 202.46 million doses of Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson and Moderna vaccines from the United States have arrived in Mexico; the British AstraZeneca, the Russian Sputnik V and the Chinese CanSino and Sinovac.
- They kill el Koki, one of the most wanted and dangerous criminals in Venezuela
- The Playboy bunny who married an 89-year-old rich man and was left without an inheritance
- Who was the Koki, the dangerous criminal boss of Cota 905 who was shot down by the Venezuelan police
- Simon Leviev, the “Tinder scammer” accused of stealing millions from several women he met on the dating app
- Hunting Pablo Escobar’s hippos, a “necessary option” to control his invasion in Colombia
- Unusual: they find the body of an old Italian woman on a chair two years after her death