The Russian and Ukrainian diplomatic delegations held the first talks on Monday since last Thursday Russia would invade Ukrainereported the Belarusian news agency BELTA.
SIGHT: Putin puts his nuclear ‘deterrent forces’ on high alert after NATO announcement
The talks between the two countries come after Russian troops met with fierce Ukrainian resistance and massive sanctions on Russia by the Western powers.
- NATO responds to Putin for putting Russia’s nuclear force on “high alert”: “It is irresponsible”
- LIVE | Ukraine maintains control of Kiev while receiving weapons from the West
- “This illegal invasion is the sole responsibility of Putin, but NATO created the conditions for it to happen”
On the Russian side, the diplomatic mission is led by the Kremlin adviser, Vladimir Medinsky. In front, Ukraine sent to the Minister of Defense Oleksii Reznikovwho arrived dressed in military uniform.
“You can feel completely safe”, declared the head of Belarusian diplomacy, Vladimir Makei, at his reception.
The Kremlin preferred this Monday not to announce its “positions” in the face of the conversations, declared its spokesman, Dmitri Peskov, since he considers that they should be done in “silence”.
For Ukraine, “the key issue is an immediate ceasefire and the withdrawal of (Russian) troops from Ukrainian territory”, the Ukrainian presidency noted on Monday.
These conversations take place in one of the residences of Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko, in the region of Gomelnear the Ukrainian border.
- Ukraine compares bombing of Kiev to that of Nazi Germany in 1941
- Ukraine reports the death of 2,800 Russian soldiers on the second day of the invasion
- Why did Russia invade Ukraine and what are Putin’s arguments for war?
- A shocking audio reveals how Russian soldiers threaten and then kill 13 Ukrainian soldiers on an island
- These are the countries that support Russia and those that are with Ukraine
- NATO activates its defense troops for the first time in history to deter Russia