Skip to content

The three days of fighting in Sudan leave 180 civilians dead and many doubts

Three days of clashes between the Army of Sudan and the powerful paramilitary group Rapid Support Forces (FAR) have so far left more than 180 civilians dead, according to the UNand many doubts about how to put a conflict on track that is getting closer to the point of no return.

In a telematic press conference, the special envoy of the United Nations in Sudan, Volker Perthesvisibly exhausted, said that since fighting began between the two opposing sides on Saturday, more than 180 civilians have been killed and more than 1,800 others have been injured.

LOOK HERE: 5 keys to understanding the violent clashes that have already left more than 100 dead and 1,000 injured in Sudan

According to the organization’s representative, the situation in the country is very unstable and it is difficult to predict which way the balance will tip, since the Army and the FAR they have faced each other in a wayalmost uninterrupted” during these three days.

The fighting intensifies

The main hot spots are concentrated in the Sudanese capital, Khartoumwhere the international airport is in dispute -which suspended its operations on Saturday-, in addition to the headquarters of the Army Operations Command, the Presidential Palace and other military bases.

However, the Army today carried out one of its greatest conquests, by retaking the headquarters of the Public Radio and Television Corporation of Sudan, after the television signal was cut off on Sunday afternoon due to the siege of the paramilitary group.

In addition, intense fighting is also taking place in the west of the country, specifically in the punished region of Darfurwhere the FAR have a large presence.

And it is that the paramilitary group was born from the militias Janjawid (Janjaweed), accused of committing mass killings and rapes in the ethnically charged conflict in Darfur (2003-2008), which claimed more than 300,000 lives and forced the forced displacement of hundreds of thousands of people.

Also in Darfur, the United Nations envoy denounced that in the last 48 hours the offices and warehouses of the WFP, Unicef ​​and other UN agencies “They’ve been in the crossfire, they’ve been looted and destroyed”, something that he described as a “great transgression”.

fire against hospitals

Health facilities in Khartoum and other parts of the country today announced closure and were declared out of service, according to the Sudan Doctors Unionwhich denounced that hospitals are being targeted by cross attacks between the Army and the FAR, which have continued to accuse each other of murdering innocent civilians.

MORE INFORMATION: The Pope calls for peace between Russia and Ukraine; he also calls for a ceasefire in Sudan

The closure of the roads and the danger of moving through the streets have meant that health professionals cannot travel to hospitals, which have warned of a lack of important personnel that prevents them from operating properly.

Likewise, these centers also suffer from shortages of all kinds of medical supplies, medicines, blood transfusion bags and even intravenous solutions, which puts the lives of patients in need of urgent care at risk.

In fact, medical sources told EFE that “dozens of patients” who have died in recent days in hospitals in Khartoum have not been able to be evacuated and remain in the facility, along with other sick and injured who cannot leave or move to safer places.

Another unsuccessful truce

At the request of the UN, the Army and the FAR today announced their adherence to a brief cessation of hostilities of three hours and the opening of humanitarian corridors so that civilians can evacuate or go for supplies.

The agreement was not respected, according to the UN, which regretted that the same thing happened the day before, when for the first time a three-hour pause in the fighting was implemented, which was not fully respected.

Different committees and organizations estimate that hundreds of people are still trapped in schools, universities and offices, from which they cannot get out due to the fighting while they are running out of supplies to survive.

This is the case of 17 professionals from the Sudanese news agency SUNAwhich according to the Sudan Journalists Syndicate They have been locked up in the media outlet’s offices since the clashes broke out on Saturday.

ALSO SEE: Sudan: At least 56 civilians killed in fighting between the army and paramilitaries

The situation in the African country is increasingly unstable, and the Army ensures that all attempts at dialogue with the FAR -a group that has been dissolved and declared a rebel militia- “they have failed”.

Likewise, several international organizations, including the UN, have tried to mediate, without success, between the parties to reach a ceasefire that would put an end to the dispute for power between the leader of the Armed Forces, Abdelfatah al-Burhanand the commander of the paramilitaries, Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo.

Source: Elcomercio

Share this article:
globalhappenings news.jpg
most popular