Emma Colonelthe wife of Mexican drug trafficker Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán imprisoned in the United States, will be released from prison in September 2023, according to data updated this Thursday by the Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP, for its acronym in English).
The former beauty queen was sentenced last November to three years in prison for her participation in the powerful Sinaloa cartel led by her husband.
- Writer of “Señoras del narco” believes that Emma Coronel, El Chapo’s wife, cooperates with the US.
- Emma Coronel: The United States sentences the wife of ‘El Chapo’ Guzmán to three years in prison
- “I hope you raise your daughters in a different environment,” the US judge who sentenced her told Emma Coronel
According to the BOP, Emma Coronel will be released from prison on September 13, 2023.
“It’s completely standard. Federal prisoners serve 85% of their sentences.” Jeffrey Lichtman, Emma Coronel’s lawyer, told AFP in an email.
“85% of 36 months minus the time you’ve already served makes it out mid-September 2023.”he added.
In addition to 36 months in prison, Coronel was sentenced to 48 months of probation and the payment of 1.5 million dollars to the US State.
Judge Rudolph Contreras, of the federal court in Washington, imposed a sentence of less than the four years requested by the prosecution, acknowledging that the defendant was a teenager when she married “El Chapo” and admitted her guilt after being arrested.
Coronel, with US and Mexican citizenship, was arrested on February 22, 2021 at Dulles International Airport, outside Washington, for alleged “complicity” in her husband’s drug trafficking business.
On June 10, she pleaded guilty to all three charges filed against her: conspiracy to distribute illegal drugs in the United States, conspiracy to launder narcotics money, and involvement in financial transactions with a drug trafficking organization.
“Today the suffering I have caused my family hurts me a lot,” he said in November, begging the judge to allow him to raise his daughters.
Coronel, niece of Ignacio Coronel, one of the leaders of the Sinaloa cartel, was born on July 2, 1989 in California, but spent most of her life in Mexico. In 2007 she married “El Chapo”, 32 years older than her, and with him she had her twins, Emali Guadalupe and María Joaquina.
“El Chapo” was sentenced in July 2019 in the United States to life in prison for drug trafficking, money laundering and arms trafficking, among other charges.
- They kill el Koki, one of the most wanted and dangerous criminals in Venezuela
- The Playboy bunny who married an 89-year-old rich man and was left without an inheritance
- Who was the Koki, the dangerous criminal boss of Cota 905 who was shot down by the Venezuelan police
- Simon Leviev, the “Tinder scammer” accused of stealing millions from several women he met on the dating app
- Hunting Pablo Escobar’s hippos, a “necessary option” to control his invasion in Colombia
- Unusual: they find the body of an old Italian woman on a chair two years after her death