Journalist Heber López Vázquez, reporter for the website Noticias Web del Estado Mexican from Oaxaca (south), was murdered this Thursday, confirmed the prosecutor of that entity, becoming the fifth reporter killed in Mexico so far this year, according to an AFP count.
López, a reporter in the Oaxacan city of Salina Cruz, was attacked inside his vehicle and so far the local police have been able to arrest two suspects in the crime, state prosecutor Arturo Calvo told the news channel. Millennium.
- Emma Coronel, wife of “El Chapo” Guzmán, will be released from prison in September 2023
- For many migrants, a flight to Mexico is their ticket to the US.
- Spain “categorically rejects unjustified” statements by AMLO.
“We already have two detainees, there are also the weapons with which they committed the crime (…) We have the crime scene secured,” detailed the prosecutor.
Calvo explained that the suspects were detained by the police when they tried to escape from the scene of the murder.
“Although we have the material authors, we do not rule out any line of investigation that could give us or lead us to the intellectual authors,” added the official.
▶️ “We have two detainees and the weapons with which they committed the crime”
Arturo Calvo, Attorney General of Oaxaca, reports what is currently known about the murder of journalist Heber López Vásquez.
— Millennium (@Millennium) February 11, 2022
With López’s crime, there are already five journalists murdered in Mexico so far in 2022, according to an AFP count based on data from the organization Reporters Without Borders (RSF).
Mexico is considered one of the most dangerous countries to practice journalism. In 2021, at least seven journalists were killed, according to RSF, although it has not been proven in all cases that the cell phones are linked to their work.
- They kill el Koki, one of the most wanted and dangerous criminals in Venezuela
- The Playboy bunny who married an 89-year-old rich man and was left without an inheritance
- Who was the Koki, the dangerous criminal boss of Cota 905 who was shot down by the Venezuelan police
- Simon Leviev, the “Tinder scammer” accused of stealing millions from several women he met on the dating app
- Hunting Pablo Escobar’s hippos, a “necessary option” to control his invasion in Colombia
- Unusual: they find the body of an old Italian woman on a chair two years after her death