Russia has already launched some 500 missiles on Ukraine since the invasion began more than a week ago, a senior US defense official said Friday.
The aforementioned official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, offered the press information on the development of the fighting in Ukraine.
- The dramatic evacuation of Elisabetta Piqué, an Argentine journalist in Ukraine: “I felt like I was in the middle of World War II”
- Russian soldier breaks down in tears as Ukrainian civilians feed him | VIDEO
- Ukraine denounces Russian bombing at Europe’s largest nuclear power plant that caused global alarm
He stated that Russian forces have barely advanced since Thursday and are 25 kilometers away from the country’s capital, Kiev.
However, only 10 kilometers separate them from the center of the cities of Chernigov and Kharkov, in the north of the country, which means that the soldiers are really on the outskirts of those cities, since they are very widespread on the surface, added the aforementioned official.
According to the United States, Moscow is having more success in its invasion of the southern part of Ukraine.
On the other hand, a senior official explained that Ukraine It has already received almost the entire military aid package valued at 350 million dollars that the US government approved last Saturday.
Specifically, according to that official, the military material valued at 240 million dollars has already entered Ukraine and the rest will arrive in the next few days or weeks.
The United States has been coordinating with 14 countries to give military aid to Ukraine since the Russian invasion began, but the senior official refused to identify them.
After months of tension, Russia launched a military operation nine days ago in Ukrainewhich has left 2,000 civilians dead, according to calculations by the Ukrainian State Emergency Service.
Also, more than a million people have fled the Ukraineas indicated yesterday Thursday by the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Filippo Grandi.
- Ukraine compares bombing of Kiev to that of Nazi Germany in 1941
- Ukraine reports the death of 2,800 Russian soldiers on the second day of the invasion
- Why did Russia invade Ukraine and what are Putin’s arguments for war?
- A shocking audio reveals how Russian soldiers threaten and then kill 13 Ukrainian soldiers on an island
- These are the countries that support Russia and those that are with Ukraine
- NATO activates its defense troops for the first time in history to deter Russia