Skip to content

Two young spectators killed after being hit by a car during a rally

A 16-year-old girl and an 18-year-old young man were killed on Sunday after being hit by a car during a car rally near Wanze, a town located between Namur and Liège (Belgium).

According to the site of the organizers of the Condroz-Huy rally, the car “came off the road and hit a small parapet before rolling onto its side, hitting a group of spectators who were in an area prohibited to the public” . “An expert said that the road was slippery”, for his part indicated Renaud Xhonneux, spokesperson for the Liège prosecutor’s office, referring to other “wounded” without however being able to indicate the exact number.

Other people injured

The organisers, who declared themselves “in mourning” on their website and sent their condolences to the families of the victims, said that one of the pilots and another person had been taken to hospital, but that their days were not over. were not in danger.

The pilot and his co-pilot were also subjected to breathalyzer tests which turned out to be negative. The investigation must in particular determine whether the two victims were in an area authorized to the public or not. The rally was suspended in the wake of the tragedy and its last timed special stage cancelled, as well as the trophy presentation ceremony.

Source: 20minutes

Share this article:
globalhappenings news.jpg
most popular