The Chief Government Advisor U.S For medical issues, Anthony Fauci, admitted this Saturday that it is possible that the new variant of covid-19 identified in southern Africa has already reached the US, but has not yet been detected.
“I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s here and we haven’t detected it yet. When you have a virus that spreads so easily and there are already cases in other countries as a result of travel, it will almost invariably end up getting everywhere.“Fauci said in an interview on NBC.
- South Korea to restrict visas to eight African countries for new omicron variant
- The United Kingdom detects two cases of the omicron variant
- Alert by omicron variant shows the global error of not better distributing vaccines
At the moment, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC, for its acronym in English), assure that they have not detected cases of the omicrón strain in the country.
Late on Friday, the governor of New York, the Democrat Kathy Hochul, was the first to declare a state of emergency for the new variant, which will take effect on December 3 and will last until at least the 15 from January.
With this measure, Hochul seeks to increase the response capacity of hospitals against covid-19 by prohibiting carrying out non-essential actions in certain circumstances and expanding the capacity of the state government to purchase emergency medical supplies.
The detection of this new variant from southern Africa worries the scientific community because it presents an amalgam of more than 30 mutations that, although some had already been observed in other variants, such as beta, this is the first time they have been seen together.
Fears of this new strain have led several countries around the world, including in the EU, to shut down air traffic from southern African countries, especially South Africa and Botswana.
The United States, Spain, France, Italy, the United Kingdom, Germany, the Netherlands, Singapore, Canada, Austria and Israel are some of the countries that have temporarily suspended travel or announced that they will impose restrictions.
- Mauricio Leal: the famous stylist and his mother die in strange circumstances in Colombia; this is what is known
- The nightmare of the school that won the draw for the presidential plane of Mexico
- He arrived at the hospital with a fever, fatigue and flu, they gave him two years to live and 13 years later he lives to tell the tale
- To try to save his son, who is unlikely to live, a father develops a laboratory at home
- Lifeless body of renowned model Christy Giles was thrown in front of a Los Angeles hospital
- “Who gets vaccinated, wins”: Austrian public television raffles cars and houses to promote vaccination against coronavirus